LLB (European) (Hons)
Dip. French Private Law (First Class Honours)
Simon is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrations, national councillor of the Australia Branch, and a barrister specialising in commercial and construction litigation and arbitration. He is based in Perth, Western Australia, where he is a member of Sir Francis Burt Chambers.
Prior to joining the Bar, Simon worked for major law firms in Australia, England and France.
Simon has acted as counsel in numerous arbitrations and arbitration related court matters.
His experience includes:
- Counsel on application to stay Western Australian Supreme Court proceeding to arbitration under International Arbitration Act 1974
- Counsel on several matters arising out of adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act 2004 (WA)
- Counsel on multiple disputed subpoena applications arising out of a major commercial arbitration
- Junior counsel for the successful party, a mining company, in a major commercial arbitration
- Acting for a mining group in fraud actions in courts across Australia
- Advising a multinational mining company in relation to claims over the failure of a tunnel structure in Western Australia
- Acting for a company in an international arbitration in London against a Government, relating to a project to construct an oil pipeline in Pakistan
- Acting for a Government and a contractor in international arbitrations in London, Paris and Brussels arising out of a fertiliser project in Kenya
- Acting for a major oil services company in an international arbitration in Switzerland, and assisting on related proceedings in Texas
- Acting for an African state owned oil company in a series of fraud-related court actions in England and France
- Acting for a drilling contractor against an oil company in an English High Court action and in connection with related proceedings in Texas
Simon is an Honorary Fellow in the Faculty of Law of the University of Western Australia, where he teaches international arbitration. He is a contributor to legal journals on arbitration and ADR methods, and has addressed numerous seminars and conferences on arbitration issues.
P: +61 8 9220 0530